Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Our Monday Night Showdown with Orland's Finest

Okay . . . Day one of an already hellish week done. It's dark, cold and rainy outside. The wifey (my chauffer) picks me up at the office and we head toward the homestead. Admitting I am not going to feel like cooking, (big surprise) we decide to pick up chicken gyro sandwiches (don't knock it till you try it, they are the bomb!) at a local eatery in Orland Park. We do the deal and are headed home. P notices a copper in the rear view mirror tailing us. . . She signals and turns right, then so does he . . . She signals again and makes another right . . . he follows . . . She tells me we are being tailed and I start running over in my head what we could possibly be wanted for . . . The lights come on and the cop car is on us, with spotlight shining through our rear glass. Like the common criminals we watch regulary on television (both of us Cops fans) we ponder what our transaction with the patrolman will consist of . . . I debate taking my shirt off in case there is video, because all the good criminals have no shirt on when they are nabbed by the man . . . To our surprise, the cop knocks on MY (passenger) window, startling us both . . .

I put the window down, and a little guy that looks about 16 asks for license and insurance . . . Then we realize our crime . . . We have an expired license plate sticker. P, God bless her, had the sticker in her wallet as we had bought it but forgotten to put it on. We showed the copper, and he called in her digits and found out that not only does she have no priors, but she has no record of deviance whatsoever. (My little angel) He was nice about it, and asked that we put it on when we got home. (To myself, I'm thinking, "hey kid, help an old guy out and go stick the little bastard on for me, will ya?") Of course I kept quiet.

So we were let off, and when we got home I stooped over in the dark and rain and hope I put the sticker where it is supposed to go. Whereever it is, it is stuck there now, right? MAN,what an exciting life we lead . . .

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home