Thursday, January 26, 2006

I can still be lifted up by AC/DC...

Oh yes . . . I was sitting on the end of the bed the other night, having just gotten home from another fucking exhausting day of my life, and I was fighting off my work duds and struggling into my home "comfy" clothes before dinner. I am drudging along and have the bedroom TV on watching some losers get shot down on American Idol on the bedroom TV. (We get about 3.5 English speaking channels in the bedroom currently, with FOX being the only network). I am sitting there, trying to remain positive, because Paula has had such a hard time of late battling her leg wound and the pain involved with it. The show goes to commercial, and I look down, putting on my shoes. Then I hear the first eight notes of "Rock and Roll Ain't Noise Pollution," and my head jerks up and I lock onto the TV screen . . . The commercial was the latest from Nike, and was a minute or 90 seconds long, and very very uplifting, using the intro to one of my favorite AC/DC songs to get the viewer hooked into the building emotion of the ad. It was excellent! I have since seen a short version (30 seconds) of the same ad which is good, but not as completely riveting as the long form ad.

Anyway, it really hit me. I can only hope it hits lots of people the same way. I really think that Nike was intending to hit a home run with viewers in exactly the way they did with me. All I know is, jut hearing the intro to that song, out of the blue, at an unexpected point, was like getting hit by a firehouse of good feelings. If I could find a way to bottle that emotion, I could be rich! Loof for it, I have a feeling it will be around a while. It ends with JUST DO IT.

1 Comments:

Blogger James said...

I know the ad you're talking about, and it's awesome.

I've listened to more ACDC in the past few months than I have in my entire life, and they are uplifting. There is something surprising about the perfect guitar riff at the perfect time.

While I get really tired of hearing Ramones riffs in ads that just don't make sense, like a bunch of yuppy kids that have cell phones at incredibly young ages, jumping into their new sports cars to Blitzgrieg Bop... I do appreciate the once in a while, nike/ACDC ad that matches a great song with a classy message. The Cinguar, "Back in Black" ad with the black Razr phone was pretty cool. No people, just the phone from cool angles with that insane intro. Very cool. Somebody out there has their head on straight.

12:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home